Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Friday, December 21, 2012

Don't mind if I do

Earlier this week, C & I received an invitation to celebrate Qatar's National Day. We got all gussied up (I'm telling you, I spent an hour doing my hair. A whole hour! Not that you could really tell...) and headed on over to the Pavillon Dauphine. Once we got there, I had a minor panic attack at the coat check because I had worn a fur shrug and I wasn't quite sure if semi-bare arms were allowed and I certainly didn't want to offend the Qatari ambassador.... But then I saw a few other women in short sleeves and felt reassured enough to head inside.

There was a long line of people waiting to shake the ambassador's hand, but we decided to skip that and go straight for the food. 
And man, was there a lot of food.  Each room had its own buffet, meaning there were tables and tables of food everywhere. All sorts of food. Hot food, cold food, appetizers, hummus, veggie platters.  It just went on and on.
There were even oyster platters!
And a chocolate fountain (that not a single French person went near):
Luckily for them, there were also numerous dessert tables:
There was also plenty to drink - fancy juices, Pommery Champagne and bottles of Red and White Mouton Cadet that were apparently 50€ a pop.
One corner also a henna stand, which I thought was very original:
Apparently there were also some well-known French politicians in attendance, including a few ministers.  And the American Ambassador walked in not too long after we did, flanked by 5 bodyguards.  I ended up standing near him later on, so I got up the courage to say hello and introduce myself. I almost felt bad for the poor guy, thinking about how much small talk he must engage in on a daily basis.  But I sure had a good time - and anyways, y'all know I never say no to fancy surroundings and free champagne!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Canedolia said...

I've been to a couple of similar events at the Pavillon Dauphine and it always looks gorgeous. It's the only place I've ever seen actual ice sculptures :-) we did shake the Ambassador's hand, as well as all the consuls, but didn't realise that the line continued around the corner and accidentally ignored about 4 people - oops!

December 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a fun event. I don't have enough hair to spend an hour on it, but I would certainly be excited, maybe a little nervous. ;-)

December 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wardrobe pause reminded me of when I went to Qatar House in London during the Olympics -- I realized once I got there that I my dress was at my knees and everyone else was wearing full length skirts and beautiful scarves that covered up everything. I felt so awkward until a couple others showed up wearing even less than I did, but still, not my greatest cultural sensitivity moment.

January 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home