Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Sunday, December 4, 2011

All Shook Up

And not in a good way.

C woke up yesterday feeling a little under the weather, and as the day went on, his symptoms worsened. Our hotel room has a gigantic bathtub, so he took bath and felt a little bit better.  The yucky feeling came back later on though, and so we decided to go sit in the hotel's hot tub.  After a few minutes, he mentioned he wasn't feeling well and so we got out.

As we were exiting the pool area, he sort of stumbled and caught himself on the door. I asked him if everything was alright and he wouldn't answer.  I kept insisting and then he said "I can't see anything" in French.  And then he passed out and fell on the floor.  Have you ever seen a 6'4" man go down?  It's pretty frickin' scary.

Luckily a bunch of military personnel had just arrived at the hotel and an EMT came racing over straight away. He was out cold and we both sat there doing our best to wake him up. I heard someone shout out "Call 9-1-1!"

Those few seconds? Minutes? that C wasn't responding - It was like a lifetime passing before my eyes. I imagined the most horrible of things, and felt my heart starting to break all over again. But then he finally came around. I started to feel hopeful, but he had a really glassy look and couldn't speak for a few seconds and I got even more scared. You could see he was looking at us and was very confused and disorientated.

But then all of a sudden he was back and awake and able to sit up, which was when the paramedics arrived, racing in with a stretcher. C tried to refuse their assistance (as he refused my suggestion of getting travel insurance), but they said they were required by law to check him out.  So out came the oxygen and the heart monitors.

After running several different tests, he was deemed okay, though he did have slightly low oxygen levels and slightly high blood sugar. The paramedics got the okay from the doctor they worked with and went on their merry way. Funnily enough, one of them was the husband of The Company's vet - which means that everyone and their dog will be au courant by the time I go into work on Monday.  But oh well, that's small town Minnesota for ya.

We went back to our room, and I just sat there, on the couch, with so much adrenalin running through my veins. So relieved he was okay.  But also scared. Scared of loving someone that much and scared at the thought something could ever happen to him. Scared at the idea of having to live without him. Scared of another broken heart.

I think that for a long time, I sort of kept C at arm's length because I was worried about getting hurt again.  And now I have let him in, and it's suddenly hit me that this means it could happen all over again. Not on purpose, but a freak accident, a disease, whatever.  Of course it's highly possible that we could both live happily ever after until the ripe old age of 90.  But thinking about the idea of "What If" scares the frickin' bejeezus out of me....

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger deedee said...

That's very scary, I hope he is feeling better by now. It kind of sounds like he had a "malaise vagal"...maybe because he's tired or coming down with something, or was over-heated from the bath and jacuzzi.

December 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Poor C. I hope he feels better soon ... and that you do too.

December 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa C. said...

Oh Sam, what a post. I'm so glad that everything is ok. I can only imagine how you were feeling. Seeing the man you love unconscious, even for just a few minutes. I have been keeping my current love at arm's length myself because I fear getting hurt again too. I get it. Wow, my eyes watered when I read this.

I'm really glad that everything is fine. You two enjoy the rest of your time away.

December 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger MilkJam said...

Wow! How scary! I hope everything's fine now, it's probably like Meredith said, the hot tub that made it worse. If you're not feeling well hot tubs can raise your blood pressure and make you faint. That's why pregnant women aren't upped to use them. Is C pregnant? Joke... Just tying to put a smile on your face :-)
Tell C I hope he feels better soon so you two young kids can enjoy your honeymoon in peace!!

Ps. Get a Gold card!!!!! Insurance included!!

December 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

aww, I hope he is feeling better. I always freak out that Alain has had a motorcycle accident when he takes longer than usual to come home from his karate class.

December 4, 2011 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Sara Louise said...

That must have been terrifying! I hope that he's feeling better and is OK.

December 5, 2011 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

That's very scary Sam, but I'm so happy he's ok. I can't imagine how it must have been for you to see that happen.

But C is young and strong and very responsible (see? now you are happy he drives so slowly lol) and I think you guys will have a long, healthy life together.

Try not to worry and enjoy the rest of your time in the US :)

December 5, 2011 at 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I SO relate to this. After waiting 46 years to meet "The One" and knowing that meeting late in life means we probably won't have the option of 50 years-plus together (we're shooting for at least 40 good years, though), even the thought of being without him scares the crap out of me. But what upsets me MORE is what if I was the one to go first, and him being all alone. That breaks my heart even more than me being without him. ::sniffle:: I guess this is what happens when you really, truly love someone.

December 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Scary moments, Sam. I'm glad he's all right now. Make sure he has regular well-man check-ups, you know how men are terrors about their own health.

December 5, 2011 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger melinda said...

so glad hes ok......yall have had so much going on recently.....hope he can seriously relax for awhile...

December 5, 2011 at 2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad C seems to be OK. When you get married, something changes. It's very subtle but it's there. I can't put it into words, but I distinctly remember feeling it while on my honeymoon and it's been 18+ years. It's a nice feeling, but I also found it a little unnerving.

I am glad you found such a strong, kind, thoughtful man. You deserve it and he is worth giving in to your feelings. I hope you have a long, happy and healthy life together.

December 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM  
Blogger chickster said...

Happy for you both he's alright and healthy. It's terrible to go through an experience like that, but I'm glad you had family and loved ones close by.

December 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger MISS YURI said...

hoo boy. that is the stuff of nightmares. i'm so glad everything turned out okay. and NEXT TIME he'll be sure to get traveller's insurance. hugs hugs hugs

December 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just seeing this post having been away from blog reading for a few days and wanted to say how glad I am that he's feeling better. I can't imagine how frightening that must have been for you.

Like The Bold Soul, I found love across the sea at a later point in our lives and hope we get at least 20 together. As my husband is 18 years older than I am, more than 20 seems greedy somehow, but I do think about how we spend our time together differently than I would if we were both younger with the assumed expectation of 40 or 50 years in front of us.

We can't let fear close our hearts to love. We have the time together that we do and how we fill it is up to us.

I hope the rest of your trip is filled with only good things.

December 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Irisrainbow said...

When you get back, he's going to the doctor, right?

December 15, 2011 at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home