Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The one in which I almost miss my own wedding

Well here, I am, five days into married life. I haven't had much time to write since my family was here and they wanted to take advantage of their last few days in Paris.

But last weekend ended up being an absolutely lovely weekend and the weather - omg, the weather - who would've thunk it?! A rainy wedding wouldn't have stressed me out (after all, mariage pluvieux, mariage heureux right?), but I was hoping it would be nice for our picture session, so I jokingly told C I was going to do some positive visualization, ie that I was going to picture us walking out of the Mairie under a bright blue sky. It became kind of a joke between us - because really, what were the chances of it being uber nice on October 1st? But I still kept doing it - every day, for just a few seconds, I would imagine our wedding day being bright and sunny, with not a cloud in the sky. It's not that I really believe in that kind of stuff, but I always figure that throwing positives out to the universe can't hurt. And what do you know - we had a clear day with a high of almost 30°C!

Despite everything going on, I think I managed to stay relatively calm bride, minus two small Bridezilla incidents. The first being when we were on our way to the Mairie, but got held up because we couldn't get the gigantic mercedes out of the garage. I was sitting there, as we inched forward and reversed, inched forward and reversed, watching the clock tick by.

10:51am
10:53am
10:57am

Did I mention I was supposed to be getting married at 11am?

Um yeah.

We finally got the car out, and we raced over to the city hall. My mind was racing as well - like "How could I be late for my own wedding??". And then we get there, only to find the parking lot in front of the city hall was full! (As a side note, most Vinci parking lots will let you park for free on your wedding day and on your birthday). My poor brother - who has never been to Paris before, let alone driven in the city - was left to fend for himself and find a parking spot while I jumped out of the car and ran over. Luckily they were running behind and he found a spot easily enough, so I was able to breath for a few minutes and say hello to everyone before we were ushered inside.

The ceremony itself was short and sweet - though the Adjoint Maire did make a few too many references to having multiple children for my liking. Have children! Have many children! And have them in the 15th! It was one of the things he'd asked us last week, and now I'm curious to whether or not he would have married us had we said no. He also leaned in to give me a bisous afterward, and it lasted just a little bit too long....Those of you in the countryside will know what I'm talking about. Like when you show up at the village bar and you have to make the rounds to say hello to everyone, and all the greasy old men at the bar insist on leaning in for a kiss that is accidentally-on-purpose way too close to your mouth.

And then it was over and we had a piece of paper saying we were married. It's actually kind of funny when you think about it - that this tiny piece of paper can carry such weight and be a legally binding document. Like one second you're not married, and then *bam* you are.

How about that?



In the next episode: A hungry bride is a cranky bride....

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Glad you made it on time in the end! Congratulations on your wedding, here's to many many happy years together.

October 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Gwan said...

Congratulations! And I think it's tradition for the bride to be just a little bit late, no?

October 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Les photos! Les photos! On veut voir les photos!
Congratulations Sam & C.!

October 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Congrats. Can't wait for the photos.

October 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger nikita_the_traveller said...

Congrats!! Mais oui, ou sont les photos?!?!?! On en veut! :-)

October 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, episode two - a hungry bride..I get so cranky when I'm hungry too. J even secretly stocks food in his man purse for me 'for emergencies'. ha!

Yes, post a photo or three!!

October 6, 2011 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Canedolia said...

Congratulations to you both! And yep, I'm pretty sure the bride being late is traditional, while crazy parking in Paris definitely is!

October 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

congrats! But really, it's not like they can start without you... Our maire also made jokes, how the livret de famille only has space for 8 kids, so if you have more than 8 you have to come back and get another Livret de famille. I also had a strange feeling, like he waved his magic wand and we were married, and it was a bit like "that's it?!"

October 6, 2011 at 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, one picture please. x

October 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Delana@dujour said...

Congratulations on the nups. Hey, it wouldn't be any fun if there weren't at least one "incident". And yes, your readers are demanding a photo! Happy life to you both.

October 7, 2011 at 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xxx

October 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Animesh said...

Ha, so I wasn't the only one who was late :).

The wedding was lovely, and the bride, doubly so :).

-A
P.S. have kids!

October 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home