Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

95% of my customers are found in the "Grand Ouest", meaning the western half of France (Brittany, the Loire Valley, the Southwest). I have a few outliers though, including a new one in Picardy. Even though C is from the North, he's not a huge fan of it, so besides a few trips to his parents house, I don't really know the region at all. Thanks to this new customer though, I am getting to know the area a little better.

And one of the first things I always notice about a new area is the type of houses. France is a relatively small country, at least when compared to the US, and it always surprises me how much the home designs vary across the country. In Picardie, there are a lot of red brick homes:Compare that to a stone house in Brittany:
Or to the "tuile" covered roofs in the Loire Valley:
And those are only three different areas.

The next thing I usually notice is the food. And from what I can tell, these people seem to love their friteries. You'll find little caravans like this everywhere:
They usually offer various types of hot sandwiches, all stuffed with fries. I haven't quite dared to eat in one yet though....mobile kitchens often equal questionable hygiene in my experience!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

love me a baraque à frites in the Noooord!! We used to go from time to time, but only to the one Max's friend owns. He gave us so much food for next to nothing and we knew it was clean and stuff. I still get cravings for some fries from time to time!

Very interesting post re: the photos of the houses. I tend to notice details like that too. Why didn't you post a picture of a typical house in Paris? You know, a 25 storey HLM?

June 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh, my french homeland! Did you understand the accent?! Shame I can't type it, but a picard is well, easy to spot! Although I live in Picardie, i'll always think of the Nord as my birth place in France. Don't get these two regions mixed up though They may be cousins, but they're not brothers!

June 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Ksam said...

@Emmy -C was born in Amiens, does that count?

And now that I think about it, I don't actually remember anyone I interacted with having a particular accent at all!

June 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Linds Frank said...

I love that you post about your work travels! I've spent very little time outside of Paris and really need to get to exploring other parts of France. Your photos and post remind me how diverse the country is and how much it has to offer!

June 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger laura said...

I second Emmy! Picardie and Le Nord are not the same region! But if Dany Boon calls them our cousins, I guess we have to live with that ;)

I didn't realize they had brick houses over there as well. I really like the flandres architecture that's present in the Nord, especially in Veiux-Lille. It's really beautiful you should make your Frenchie take you some time!

Also, those stone houses in Brittany are beautiful!

June 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger au soleil levant said...

Picardie, my French base! I'm guessing that you didn't go too far north in Picardie if you didn't hear an accent. In my town about an hour north of Paris there was no accent, but the town 30 minutes north did have an accent and I had a hard time understanding them. Either that or you're just awesome at French and not affected by accents :)

June 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM  
Blogger JChevais said...

Bliss. MrC came this close to getting a "Directeur" job in a sleepy little town's LaPoste (he got it then it was taken away at the last minute). Nouvion en Thierache... or something. The town smelled of Maroille and the people were THE NICEST people in the world.

June 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Gwan said...

Oh yeah, I lived in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais when I first moved to France in 2007 and when I left the region I was really disappointed that every square in France didn't come equipped with a friterie, ha ha! Probably for the best though...

July 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home