Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Monday, May 16, 2011

Foix

Like I mentioned, before, while we were down South, we took a day to visit the city of Foix. You all know I love me some châteaux, and this one has been on my list for a while, especially after hearing L talk about it. So off we went, first to take a look at it at night:And then the next morning we returned (after spending about half an hour turning in circles in the center of Foix due to all of the one-way streets. Consider yourself warned). You'd also better be motivated, cuz it's quite the hike up to the castle on the hill.It's worth it though, because once you're finally up top, you will be treated to some really amazing views:The city down below:The surrounding grounds:Nearby mountains:The grounds of the château were filled with Irises, one of my favorite flowers:And the inside had all kinds of cool things, like old wooden doors:Ancient canopy beds:And views of one of the four tours:
What's not to love?

I'll leave you with a little rhyme that French kids learn in school to help them remember how to spell fois (time, as in one time), foie (liver), Foix (the city) and foi (faith):

Il était une fois, une marchande de foie qui vendait du foie dans la ville de
Foix. Elle m'a dit "ma foi, c'est la dernière fois que je vends du foie dans la
ville de Foix.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger TreeFeathers said...

Great photos, what a cool castle! I'd love to visit it someday.

- Grace

May 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Cécy said...

I can see a glimpse of my high school behind the Tour Ronde :)

Did you take a tour? We did when I took my husband and Mom there and really loved it.
I believe the canopy bed is one where King Henry IV of France slept in.
Did you also see all the engravings in the tower? It was a jail for a while.

May 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home