Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Monday, April 25, 2011

PSA

I posted this on Twitter last night (well, as much as you can post in 140 characters), but thought it might be worth posting it here too.

C says there has been a drastic jump lately in the number of foreigners getting robbed around the Abesses/Sacré Coeur area. There is one group of five young men who usually corner a foreign couple and make them empty their pockets and give them their ATM card pin code. The others just plain old pickpocket tourists. But the end result is that foreigners are now filing by the dozens into the police stations of the 18th arrondissement.

At least two of these stories have a happy ending though. Undercover policemen caught one of the offenders red-handed in front of Sacré Coeur and they found the wallet of an American woman (among others) in his pocket. She hadn't yet filed a report anywhere, so C tried calling the American Embassy to see if she was registered there. She wasn't, so he put the wallet aside just in case she decided to file a report in the next day or two (the other option is to send it off for evidence, but then you can't get it back).

He was telling me the story over dinner last night, and I said "Do you remember her name? We should look her up on Facebook". A few clicks later, and there she was! I sent her a message and she replied back a few minutes later saying that it was her, and that she had just been to a different police station to pick up her (empty) purse. Case closed!

The funny thing is that while hunting through the garbages of Sacré Coeur for her own purse, she came across the purse of someone else and also found and returned it yesterday through Facebook. Talk about good karma coming back around to help!

(Now if karma would only heal my sore throat in time for my next work trip....)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

yet another reason I'm so happy to be moving away from Ile-de-France...but I suppose I hear all the bad things about Paris being married to a cop and all. But I have the feeling this part of France is getting scarier and scarier...

April 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Cécy said...

Facebook should pay you for that kind of advertisement if you ask me ;)
Good to know they were found and returned to their owners. Thiefs are always a frustrating thing. It's even worse when you're traveling and don't know how things work.

April 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once left my flash drive (with lots of photos and school assignments) in a computer at a school lab. Someone looked up my name on one of the papers, found me on Facebook, and messaged me to return it! Facebook is nice that way! Good for you and C!

April 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great story -- and how smart of you to think of Facebook! Thanks also for the warning about about pickpockets.

May 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home