Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Sunday, August 30, 2009

This weekend brings to close the annual Parisian exodus to the coasts of France. Everyone and their dog here seems to have a vacation house in Bretagne, Normandy or the Côte d'Azur, and they flock to it like ants to honey for the entire month of August.

Leaving the non-touristy parts of Paris gloriously empty. It's been fabulous.

I'm high enough up that it's not normally very noisy, but I do hear the every day traffic (including those annoying scooters) and random drunk men spouting off at whoever walks by. These past two weeks though have been silent. Absolutely silent. Quiet enough that I actually woke up one morning and thought it was pouring rain. I had big plans for the day, and I lay in bed cursing the French weathermen and their obvious lack of skills. Until I pulled back my curtains and was blinded by the sun and the brightest blue sky I'd ever seen. Yes folks, I live in the middle of the city, but it was so quiet that I'd confused the fountain down below for a downpour.

So I decided to take a video the other night while the sun was setting, to show my view and just how quiet it really was (and yes, you can hear the fountain in the background). It's a bit wobbly since I was taking it one-handed while talking to Crystal on the phone, but you'll the Sacré Coeur, the dome of Invalides, Saint Sulpice (I believe), La Défense, the Eiffel Tower, lots of French rooftops and the Montparnasse Tower. And you'll notice how pink & orange the sky is behind the Eiffel Tower. The rest of Paris is normally blue/greyish as the sun sets, but I'm treated to an absolutely amazing sunset behind the Eiffel Tower pretty much every night.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

ahh if only it could be that quiet every day...I *might* like it a little more :)

August 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us out here in the provinces.

August 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger emaleejayne said...

LOVELY!

September 1, 2009 at 2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home