Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Friday, August 14, 2009

It's funny for me to think about how much my relationship with France has changed since moving to Paris. Even though I had an absolutely fabulous time in the US, by week three, I was starting to get an itch to come back. Me! Wanting to come back to France! Imagine that. I had to double check that hell had not frozen over during my absence. And the feeling was only cinched after watching Julie & Julia (IMO: the book is probably better than the movie). At $11 the movie ticket, it was a pretty expensive realization.

I'm very lucky though to have reconnected with several friends during my time there - I think after Fabrice and I broke up, I felt somewhat ashamed about the whole thing. Like I'd been thrown out like somebody's dirty laundry. Some of my friends from my "previous life" weren't even aware what had happened. So it was nice to catch up with them again and hear what they've been up to, especially my best friend from college.

There was something missing from my trip though - there were a few times when I'd get a twinge of "Gosh, this is so amazing - I wish I had someone to share this with". Like I was just bursting with love for what was happening at that very moment and I wanted to share that happiness with someone else.

But then on the other hand, I find myself letting the multiple emails from the bal de pompiers dude go unanswered.

I think it's still too soon. Or he's not the right one?

Maybe Paris is enough for me right now.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jadie said...

sounds like you're getting ready, and somehow it's happened alongside all the experiences and emotions you thought were the full story. like the way broken bones mend...slowly, incrementally, until one fine day you can "suddenly" put weight on it again!

August 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger J said...

I was feeling the same way after 3 weeks. I just wanted to get back to France!

August 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger L said...

A college friend posted on Facebook that she was going to an art exhibit in Philadelphia or New York and was anyone interested in joining her? Tickets were only $23. And that's when I realized that culture and going out in France is waaaay cheaper (and probably better). I'd forgotten as well how expensive it is in the States to go to a museum or the movies.

August 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Oneika said...

i think he's just not the right one. trust your instincts!

August 16, 2009 at 3:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Or maybe it is just getting back to your "home" that you have made for yourself where you feel most comfortable. I was just in France for more than two weeks - I love France, but by the end of two weeks I was so anxious to get back home to the States to my home.

August 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home