Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Sunday, May 17, 2009

As if I needed another reason to love this city, last night was the 5th edition of the "Nuit des musées", or the Night of Museums. This means that a good chunk of museums were open late and were free to the general public. So along with a couple friends, I headed over to the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou. The center was named for Georges Pompidou, a former French president, and the building caused quite the scandal when it was opened in 1977 because of how unconventional it was.
I have to admit I'm not really a huge contemporary art fan, so my favorite thing about this museum was the view. The picture quality isn't the best because of the glare and the rain, but we had an absolutely amazing view of almost all of the major monuments in Paris.I also found myself taking pictures of the Eiffel Tower, and thought to myself "What are you doing? You see this same view several times a night from your apartment". But yet I still found myself pulling out my camera again once it started sparkling to take this video. Who can get tired of looking at la Dame de fer?


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Patricia said...

What amazing views! I have never been to the Museum of Modern Art (I am not a big fan, either),but the next time I am in Paris I will go there.
Thanks for the great photos!

May 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Starman said...

Or...you could use this url to get a really great webcam look at Paris from the Pompidou: http://www.centrepompidou.fr/pompidou/Communication.nsf/0/EC87316EA3FB8B1FC1256E2000462116?OpenDocument&sessionM=3.4.1&L=2

May 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM  
Blogger L said...

If you took pictures from the top floor, you must have passed by the "classic" modern art (Picasso, Miro, etc). Those pieces are at least easier to appreciate than a brick and a light bulb or the other random things on the lower floors.

May 17, 2009 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi how you doing??? We never went there on our trip to Paris, but the views are calling me :-)

May 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger christine said...

I was actually thinking about asking my neighbor to babysit overnight for us so I could go to this. I'm so NOT missing this next year. Jealous *sob*

May 18, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home