Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Monday, April 13, 2009

The lost manor

While France may have an excellent public transportation system, there are so many things that you would never see if you didn't have a car. Bretagne is the perfect example - there are train links to all the major towns, but there is so much other cool stuff in between that you just can't get to without your own set of wheels.

Not to mention all the random things you just stumble upon in the French countryside. This is something that happens to me quite often - signage in France is usually lacking, meaning wrong-turns often become a regular occurrence while driving. But I don't really mind because it means I come across some really cool things - such as this abandoned manor in the middle of nowhere.
I came across it as I was looking for a place to turn around. I didn't see any one around, so I decided to park the car and get out in order to take a closer look. The place must have been a beauty in its day, but now, with half the windows boarded up and the paint peeling off, it just looked a little sad and forlorn.I spent a bit of time looking through the windows - check out the fire place and the beautiful wood flooring:There was also a tiny little chapel off to the side:As I drove away, I wondered about the families who'd lived there and the things those walls have seen. Someone must own it still - there weren't any kind of municipal signs explaining the history of the building, nor were there "For Sale" signs in the window. But it was a nice little mystery for me to ponder the rest of the day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Quantumhollapena said...

I want it! I hope someday to have the money to restore something like that. It's such a waste to just let it erode away...

April 13, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Starman said...

Doesn't French law state that if you move into an empty building and live there for x number of hours, the place becomes yours?

April 13, 2009 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger christine said...

Probably all tied up in droits de succession. We once tried to buy a pretty house, abandoned. AA neighbor gave us a name and when we called the lead she said "sure I'd sell it but my brothers refuse to!" Until they die or change their mind she could do nothing.

I love that you peeked inside the window and took pics. I would have done that too! Thanks for sharing.

April 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home