Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Thursday, February 19, 2009

I just wanted to report back and say that I went to a NORMAL osteopathe yesterday. I was extremely surprised, the only thing I had to take off was my watch & my glasses. The funny thing is, I almost would've preferred to disrobe - the clothes I was wearing weren't exactly conducive to being twisted into bendy shapes!

He was cute in a yuppie, born-in-the-5ème kind of way and he was nice & funny. But sorry ladies, he's taken - he's married to a psychiatrist and is expecting his first child in May. During our hour-long session, he did some chiropractic moves and he also used homeopathy & acupuncture, so he was pretty progressive for a male French doctor.

I'm not feeling 100% better, but he did say it would take 2-3 days for my body to heal after the adjustments. I can say that I do feel better than I did at this time yesterday, so I'm somewhat hopeful.

Either way, if anyone ever needs to see a chiropractor, I would definitely recommend him. And just an FYI, we spoke in French, but he worked in England for a bit so he also speaks decent English.

PS. Sorry Dawn, I didn't end up seeing your lady - I called her on Tuesday & she couldn't get me in until Friday, plus she was pretty gruff on the phone!!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger La Framéricaine said...

You might already have given some thought to this possibility but if not perhaps there is some validity to it:

The ending of the relationship with Fab that launched you into the process of transition that will result in your new identity may very well be at the root of your back pain.

I only bring it up because I spent 4 years with a cane on Valium and Vicodin because of a sudden onset of "sciatica" eight months after my mother killed herself.

I probably would have gone on ignorant of the relationship of the two events in my own life if I had not stumbled upon the work of Dr. John Sarno--"Mind Over Back Pain," etc. After I read his books, I stopped presenting with those particular symptoms with the back and leg, but they come back in times of great emotional stress, for me.

I might even have dismissed his accuracy in positing that the physical pain was psychologically and/or emotionally inspired had I not been reading "Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes" by William Bridges recently and re-encountering Sarno's theories in a much more specific context associated with the endings in life that devastate one's sense of whom one IS and the painful transitions that are prerequisites to new beginnings, a new identity, and a natural process of renewal and rebirth.

I would have mentioned this before but there are times when the tone of your posts or the comments to be found here seem hostile to the notion that what happened with Fab had anything whatsoever to do with you and your inner need to move on and find your own new identity.

Amitiés, Sam, and best of luck with the very demanding transition and process of death and renewal of identity that the end of your life with Fab in Bretagne has occasioned. You will succeed in becoming the new you. You are capable and courageous. Just listen to your heart and your mind, mourn your loss, allow yourself to change and become that new woman with love for the miracle that you are.

February 19, 2009 at 3:35 PM  
Blogger islandgirl4ever2 said...

OMG!! La Franaméricaine... read the SAME book I read and it really changed my way of thinking... of course, it didn't make my back pain go away like I had hoped it would...
You know, in my case, I had TWO back injuries... and the first one went misdiagnosed for about a year until I had the second one in the same spot.. and then it was diagnosed as a herniated disk after an MRI! I was in soooo much pain- sciatica and more- and then my mom died a month into my second back injury. I really believe that her sickness (cancer) and my back pain were VERY interconnected... as I had sooo much stress, grief, worry going on at the same time... I have done soooo many different therapies on my back, you name it, I've done it... But, I do agree that stress is a big factor in back pain, as it is also the cause in many other problems we can suffer from physically.... I have the book if you are interested in borrowing it, let me know... Leese
Your NEW guy sounds great... I'd like to take his info from you- I'm going to see Dawn's chiro on Wed. et je vais voir qu'est-ce que ça va me donner!
Right now, I'm having bad neck and arm/shoulder pain... Take care, Leese

February 20, 2009 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger islandgirl4ever2 said...

In fact, my book may be called, "Say Goodbye to Back Pain."

February 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home