Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Saturday, January 31, 2009

I have to admit...

that yesterday I caved. Before my kiné appointment, I kept telling myself "Samantha, this will be the LAST appointment. No matter what, do not let her talk you into another one". But what do I do when the end of the séance rolls around? Book another frickin' appointment! I tried to put her off by saying that I was leaving on a work trip for two weeks, but she wasn't having any of it. So now I am seeing her in 3 weeks time. I promise it's the last one.

I couldn't help it though - she is always so nice to me while I'm there (besides that fact that she makes me spend 30 minutes in just my underwear of course). Yesterday she kept going on and on about how fabulous my French was and how I have no accent and how she can't believe I'm 100% American. Okay, granted she is old and possibly half-deaf, but we'll overlook that - it's still nice to hear it every once in a while, especially since I feel like I barely speak any French anymore.

And then person following me was late, so she gave me an extra 5 minutes of massage and started telling me that I needed to watch out for French men. That they were all untrustworthy and unstable and major mamma's boys. Oh, and don't even get her started on the Italians! Now this woman knows nothing about my past, she was just talking about her own experiences with Frenchies & those of her daughter. But she almost seemed grandmotherly, like she really cared about what happened to me, in a way that doesn't happen very often with French women.

So back I go. And hopefully next time, I will be able to avoid busting out laughing as she slaps my butt, telling me to "clench harder". Cuz I just may have done that this time and then tried to cover it up as a cough. Though better my butt than hers, right?

Ahem.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

how funny. Alain's grandmother, whom I haven't seen in years, tells me how well I speak french now. Though when she calls, I don't say much more than "Bonjour meme! Bonne année!"
"ah, tu parles bien maintenant. Tu parles bien!"

January 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Diary of Why said...

So, flattery, massages, and free advice. Um, tell me again why you want to give this up? (And let me know if I can take over your slot!) :)

January 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take a compliment without trying to qualify it- a lot of people talk about how great your French is so I'm sure she isn't just half deaf!

January 31, 2009 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger parisiannewyorker said...

If you want to not go back, you should call her a week before your appt and cancel. When she pushes you to make another appt, tell her you'll call her back once you figure out your (work or other) schedule.

That's what I do when I don't want to go back to a specific doctor.

February 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home