Totally Frenched Out

From the blogger formerly known as Samdebretagne

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Post 2

To answer some of people's questions - I'm only going home for two weeks. I've had these tickets for a few months now, so I thought I might as well use them. And then I'll be back in France on May 9th. I've got to stay in Bretagne for a few days to règle a few things (mainly my naturalization dossier), and then I go down south for another two weeks with the Technician. I'll be in Paris by the end of May though.

I don't have a 100% confirmation from the family yet (typical French being vague and not in a hurry to decide anything), but it looks like at least for the month of June, I will be staying in a chambre de bonne in the 5ème in exchange for 14 hours of babysitting per week. The mother seems really suspicious about me wanting to do this considering "how old I am", so she wants to do a trial period for 4-6 weeks to check me out and see how it goes. I really just want to be assured I have a place to stay, at least for the first few weeks, plus only working 14 hrs means I can still have another job on the side. Not to mention the benefits of not having any rent to pay....

As for why Paris? Well, for starters, because I've spent the past five years surrounded by cows and farmland, and I'm ready for a change of scenery (which does not include going back to MN to live in a small town surrounded by cows and even more farmland). Secondly, it'll be the easiest place for me to find a job in France. And last but not least - the majority of my blogging friends live there! It's the one place in France where I feel like I will be vraiment entourée, where there are so many people and there's so much to see that I won't just sit at home depressed. I've spent way too much of the past five years lonely, at home alone, and right now, I need to be out and about. And what could be better than Paris in the summer??

PS. I honestly considered selling the computer & the TV too cuz I could really use the money, but it's just not my style. Just because he stooped so low doesn't mean I have to, nor do I want that to be the last memory his family and everyone else has of me.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Starman said...

Paris seems like just the thing to get you back into the main stream. And of course, the added bonus of lots of good friends to share a glass or two at a nice café.

April 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Deagman said...

Hey Sam! Home for 2 weeks sounds great, I'll get in touch with you...perhaps you can come and visit for a weekend in Rochester :) The weather is beautiful now...we'll hang out all day, go to the lake, sun on the boat, and bbq!!! :) Talk to you soon!

April 24, 2008 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Well enjoy your time off... and enjoy Paris. You will do great there. I always enjoy when I get to go on business, was just there sunday and had a blast.

Mrs. Deagman - Rochester? MN, MI or NY? I am a Rochester, NY native myself, and get to go back in another month for a long visit!

April 24, 2008 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Sam, Ms. Mac is here right now and I've put her to work scrubbing out the guest room for your future use, should you need it!

xxx

April 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

Sounds like a great plan, Sam. It will be good for you to go home for two weeks, spend time with your family and be totally away. The living arrangements in Paris sound perfect - how did you find it? I think you should babysit the 14 hours and then write a book the rest of the time! You are such a good writer. I have read so many books about people who live in France and yours would be a great story - I would read it!!!! Enjoy the time with your mother. You are so lucky to have her there with you.

April 25, 2008 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This sounds like a good way to start a new life. I'm glad you have a few things left to do in France, and that you'll have a chance to go home to take a deep breath before trying to deal with them as well as your personal life. Paris will definitely be a change of scenery.

April 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger L said...

You do seem a little old for babysitting. I mean, do you have your BAFA? Goodness knows an adult with experience teaching kids might not be a capable to take care of them out of school ;-) Good luck in Paris and take advantage of the low dollar back in the states!

April 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hi Sam,
Enjoy your stay in MN !
Everyone needs to return to family to resource themselves.

Just to say that when you eventually get settled down in Paris, I will be really happy to meet you this summer.

You take care.

April 25, 2008 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

You see, Sam? I AM meaner than you! I knew it! (-: Seriously though, I would probably do the same thing--I only talk the talk, but I can't be truly awful!
I must say, reading your itinerary, I got butterflies of excitement. This is all perfect. It is the best time to go home, and you'll enjoy it more knowing it's only a short trip. It will be a perfect break between transitions.
As I've said before, you are a true inspiration to me for this big transition I am preparing for.
Bon voyage!

April 25, 2008 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger christine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 26, 2008 at 1:49 AM  
Blogger christine said...

They don´t know how lucky they are to get you. Do they realize that you are THE INFAMOUS SDB!! I mean come on---trial period?!

We probaly won´t be directy in the city but you will definitely have to come and visit us suburbanites for a stretch when you´re missing the country or need a refuge :) We´ll be settled in by August and bien sûr ..."mi casa, su casa" !

(I´m a moron logged in wrong again oops...sorry for the deleted comment)

April 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM  
Blogger Bijou salon said...

gooood luck to you Sam!!!!

April 26, 2008 at 4:50 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I agree. Don't sell the TV and computer. Instead, throw them off the roof.

April 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger Ksam said...

Thanks everyone - I'm really looking forward to meeting those of you who live in and around Paris!!

PS. Justin, it's Rochester NY.

April 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Fuzzy said...

I'm glad to hear you are going to a city. After all the trials of getting work I thought, you should just go to a big city and you will be fine. I know work is harder to cme by in France but in cities it is much better. I'm sure you find something and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

BTW Im from Syracuse NY

April 27, 2008 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger KathyMac said...

yes. and we won't talk about hold old *i* am, or the fact that i've been "baby-sitting" for the past four YEARS. ::eyes wide::

can't wait for you to get here!!

April 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Enjoy this time with your family and being back in the good ol' U.S. of A. -- and we'll be so happy to have you come back to France at the end of the month! Very much looking forward to the chance to meet you then! (I'll be well on near my 8th month, so perhaps just a WEE bit bigger than now too! YIKES!)

April 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home